This venison shoulder recipe is impressive. Serve with freshly handmade flatbread, yoghurt, chop salad and your favourite hot sauce.
1 venison shoulder (around 2-2.5 kg)
3 tsp salt
1 head garlic
2.5cm piece ginger
Small handful parsley
3 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground clove
3 tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 lemon juice
80ml olive oil
How to make it
- Pulse all ingredients in food processor then rub over 1 venison shoulder (around 2-2.5 kg).
- Leave to marinate overnight.
- Take shoulder out a good 2 hours before cooking so it comes up to room temp.
- Place shoulder in a roasting tray with a good amount of depth. Place another head of garlic and a roughly chopped onion in tray. Heat up 1.5litres chicken stock to boil then pour over shoulder.
- Make sure the trays not too full as it will spill. Leave a good inch from the top.
- Wrap tightly in 2 layers of foil and cook in oven at 140C fan for 5 hours.
- Unwrap and put oven to 160C for 30 min. Baste the juices a couple of times during the 30 min.
- The venison should be very tender at this point. If it isn’t then rewrap and cook for another hour, making sure there’s enough liquid in tray.
- Just before serving heat your oven to 180 and cook without foil for 15 minutes to get a nice caramelisation on top.
- Serve with flatbread, yoghurt, chop salad and hot sauce.